January 30, 2014
Post #292 Shortlink: http://wp.me/pKrrB-3H9
Update at February 8, 2014: ICD Revision has now updated its Timeline page:
“May 2017 Present the ICD-11 to the World Health Assembly”
In the last day or so, edited text on two WHO webpages confirms a decision by ICD Revision to postpone release of ICD-11 by a further two years, from 2015 to 2017.
From WHO site: “The International Classification of Diseases 11th Revision is due by 2017″
Also ICD Information Sheet: “…The development phase will continue for three years and ICD-11 will be finalized in 2017.”
And from a note accompanying a slide presentation: “…Now ICD 11 is scheduled in 2017 and ICD-10-CM can be made as a National Linearization.” Bedirhan Üstün, January 29, 2014 
ICD-11 Revision has yet to issue a formal announcement or news release or update its Timeline page to reflect this decision.
Delaying the release of ICD-11 has been under consideration for several months.
The development process for ICD-11 began in April 2007, with ICD-11 scheduled for dissemination by 2012 and the timelines for the development of ICD-11 and DSM-5 running more or less in parallel [2,3].
Early on in the revision process, the ICD-11 dissemination date was extended. By 2009, the final draft was scheduled for World Health Assembly (WHA) approval in 2014. The WHA approval date was subsequently shunted to 2015 – four years later than originally planned.
ICD-11 is now scheduled for finalization in 2017.
Rationales for extending the timeline:
Pages 8-10: Committee for the Coordination of Statistical Activities, Twenty-second Session 4-6 September 2013, Items for discussion and decision: Item 8 of the provisional agenda, 3 September 2013 .
Slide presentation, Bedirhan Üstün, September 9-10, 2013, Slides 29-35: .
Related reports from Dx Revision Watch
January 22, 2014: WHO Collaborating Centre confirms Revision Steering Group seriously considering extension to ICD-11 timeline: http://wp.me/pKrrB-3E8
September 15, 2013: WHO considers further extension to ICD-11 development timeline: http://wp.me/pKrrB-3sc
1. Slideshare: AHIMA ICD-10 ICD-11 switch to ICD-10-CM in the USA, presentation note, Bedirhan Üstün, Coordinator at World Health Organization, January 29, 2014
2. Agenda Item No. 25: Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) and Involvement of Psychology International Union of Psychological Science Committee on International Relations Action, March 28–30, 2008
IUPsyS Mar 08 Agenda Item 25 ICD-10
3. Letter Saxena, WHO, to Ritchie, IUPsyS (International Union for Psychological Science), August 2007
Exhibit 1 WHO Letter Aug 07
4. Committee for the Coordination of Statistical Activities, Twenty-second Session 4-6 September 2013, Items for discussion and decision: Item 8 of the provisional agenda, 3 September 2013, Pages 8-10:
5. Slide presentation: ICD Revision: Where are we? Bedirhan Üstün, World Health Organization Classifications, Terminologies, Standards, ICD Revision: Quality Safety Meeting 2013, September 9-10, 2013, Slides 29-35: